Monday, December 8, 2008

Hospital Days

Yes, you read that right. I have been comfortably ensconsed in my single room at UW Hospital (views of the Capitol and Lake Mendota, wi-fi, room service meals) since Thursday evening, and I will be here through most of the next week. When I got back from Thanksgiving, I decided that I'd better find out why I was so exhausted and whether the MDs could make it easier for me to breathe. Things had been slowly getting worse--I really should have seen a doc before Thanksgiving, but I didn't want to screw up my trip east, so I just ignored what was going on. But Wednesday, after shopping for chicken soup ingredients and getting my flu shot, I came home to make the soup and had to sit down at the dining room table to cut up the veggies. And then later I had to call the neighbors to ask if they'd wheel the trash cart out to the curb. So I decided I should call the clinic Thursday AM.

The nurse, after consulting briefly with my primary care doc, said I should go directly to the ER. I was kind of surprised--I mean, don't we hear all the time that we should not go to the ER? Well, when I got there (dropped off by my friend Robin), I discovered that I had uttered the magic words: "I'm having trouble breathing." They had me in a wheelchair and whisked into an examining room and hooked up to oxygen within what seemed like seconds, and two teams of docs, first the medical service and then the oncologists, appeared minutes later. Then there was a nebulizer treatment and an x-ray, and then the conclusion that I had a pleural effusion in my left lung--fluid (caused by the tumors) built up in the pleural cavity, which is the space between the lung itself and the membrane that connects the lung to the chest wall. (I am learning so much anatomy! It's really fascinating.)

So the fluid had to be drained, and because they were also concerned about a blood clot that might have formed in the lung, I needed a CT scan. Somewhere in there I asked if I was going to be admitted to the hospital and they said yes. I explained that was all very well, but I needed to be out by Sunday evening because my friends Frank and Dolores Emspak and Janet Zimmerman were hosting a book party for Facing Fear. The on-call oncologists (a resident, a fellow, and the attending) who had been consulting with Dr. Holen, knew about the book and could not have been more helpful and accommodating. They drained 1.2 liters of fluid Thursday evening (which immediately eased my breathing) and also arranged for me to have the CT scan that evening. (Fortunately, there was no blood clot. I still haven't heard anything from U of Chicago about a phase 2 study, and at this point I'm not optimisic, but a blood clot in the lung would have definitely put the kibosh on it.)

Then they started figuring out how to proceed with the next steps, while still getting me to the book party. There are apparently three options for pleural effusions: repeated draining (not an especially painful procedure, but has to be done frequently because the fluid builds up rapidly); a permanent drain; or a surgical procedure called pleurodesis. This last is preferred for people expected to live longer than three months, according to a website I was checking for the spelling of the name. Pleurodesis is very strange, I think. The surgeon totally drains the fluid (even after they took 1.2 liters out, there was still more--it's too dangerous to take it all out at once). Then they blow (?) sterile talc and/or maybe antibiotics into the cavity, causing inflammation and scarring. Apparently if there's no space for the fluid to go, the tumor cells just don't produce any! I'd love to know who figured that out, and how they did it.

The thoracic surgeon prefers to do this procedure in an operating room, although I guess that's not essential. I told him (well, them--fellow and attending) that my goal was to go to LA on Dec 25, so they decided to try to find an OR on Monday morning. And they did! Working with the oncologists and my desire to go to the book party, everyone agreed that I could be in the hospital until Sunday morning, have a day pass, and then come back Sunday evening to be ready to go this morning. (Full disclosure: I'm actually writing this on Saturday evening, to be "published" on Monday. I suspect that the painkillers and anesthesia I'll be subject to would not generate a very coherent post.)

Today they will also put a drain in my right lung cavity, which has less fluid, but still some, and on Wednesday, they will blow talc into that cavity through the tube, which they will then remove. I think I will be in the hospital until some time Friday.

I asked the surgeon if I could fly on the 25th, and was actually delighted when he hesitated a little, giving me an excuse and permission to take Amtrak from Chicago and spring for a roommette! I actually love trains, and I will get to LA (if the train's on time) 12 hours earlier than I would have by plane--I think this is grand! After I spend a couple of days with my friend Claire, Jed and I will drive to El Paso to meet Nate, and we will have our Texas adventure--their gift for my (last September) birthday.

I know it sounds odd, but I think things couldn't be much better. I have had to give up the idea of the traditional big solstice party, since there are only ten days or so between getting out of the hospital and leaving for LA. But I'm still going to make latkes (fresh, not frozen) on the 21st, which is the first night of Chanukah as well as the solstice for the many friends and neighbors who've helped turn the past week, which could have been so dark, into a splendid display of light--running errands, visiting me, shoveling, and even doing my laundry! Not just odd--even sappy, because who could ask for anything more?

No comments: