Monday, December 22, 2008

Gifts

Last week, I got three wonderful gifts of a medical sort. First, the follow-up X-ray of my lungs was much improved after the pleurodesis, and the doctors agreed I was not crazy to get on the train tomorrow and head west. Second, they suggested that one of the reasons I was so tired was that I was marginally anemic, or maybe just plain anemic, and marginally in need of more red blood cells. So Friday I had a transfusion, and it has made me more peppy, though certainly not hugely energetic. And third, I learned, also on Friday, that I am still being considered for the Phase 2 study at the University of Chicago. I am to be there on Thursday morning, January 8, to sign the consent form and begin the further screening process. This means leaving Madison on Jan 7, less than two days after I get home from my trip to Clifornia and Texas--I just hope by then the weather has moderated a bit.

Obviously, this is all good news, and the sorts of gifts I can never repay. But it does occur to me that all you healthy people out there can help by going to your nearest blood bank and making a donation. I used to do this regularly as a young adult, and really, it's one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. They treat you like a very special person (which you are), and you know that you're making a really valuable contribution to someone's health.

Now I am in the very strange position of heading out of Madison to see friends and family over the holidays (and my sister Paula's birthday) and not taking a single gift with me. Not even a house gift of Wisconsin cheese or chocolate. I have barely been out of the house since the beginning of the month, and then chiefly on trips back and forth to the hospital and clinics. I haven't driven in weeks. And internet shopping seems particularly heartless to me. I've alerted my family to expecct their Chanukah gifts by Groundhog's Day. Still, it feels weird.

But I have seized on a conversation I had recently with my neighbor Bridget, a self-confessed "ambivalent Catholic," who was describing the priest's message at mass a week or two ago--about how this season is about presence, not presents. It does seem egotistical, if not egomanaical, to suggest that my friends and family shoulde be satisfied with my presence. But I know, from my experience the last couple of weeks, that people's presence is really what it's all about. I have been helped by so many people, in so many ways--from the doctors who made sure I got to my book party, to the hosts of the book party, to friends who brought food and comfort, did laundry, shoveled snow, drove me to the clinic and hospital and also on a little round of errands, helped me prepare for and totally cleaned up after last night's mini-solstice party... these people's help and their simple presence in my life has literally made it possible for me to function and progress beyond "invalid" status. These are the true gifts this season.

As the light grows stronger and the days longer, my wish for all of you is that people are present in your lives, as they have been for me. In the last chapter of Facing Fear, I write about the importance of community. But the chapter is really about the importance of other communities, in other places. I wish I had known, when I was writing that chapter, how much I would come to value my own community, my friends and neighbors. I would have included you all in the book.

Thank you. May you have holidays full of the presence of good friends and family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Safe travels, Judy! I hope your trip is glorious in every way.

I just want to echo your comments about blood donation. For a long time, I was squeamish and even faint for simple blood tests.

I managed to overcome that when they became a regular twice-yearly part of my life, but I would still never consider giving blood. Then someone close to me needed a transfusion before she started treatment for cancer.

The benefit of that transfusion was almost immediate, and it restored her will to fight. I decided it was time for me to pay back, or perhaps pay forward, her three units.

The first time I could barely manage to get on the cot. The second time, I realized that I should skip my blood pressure medicine for a day, and I felt fine after giving. Alas a virus struck that night and I had to tell them to destroy that donation.

I'll be giving blood regularly from now on. I feel good about it, having seen what it can do for someone I care for--and others whom I will never know. And I feel good about overcoming my irrational but very real reaction that would have made me keel over a few years ago.

The little boy who once told his mother that the glue that held him together was coming out has become a 60+ year-old blood donor.

Who would've thunk it?