Monday, September 29, 2008

Birthday Season

Before I begin the main subject of this post (my birthday), I don't want to forget something that I meant to mention last week. The cover for Facing Fear--here it is again, since you might have forgotten the image--includes artwork by Madison artist Carol Chase Bjerke. The image is called "Vital Signs - Boat with Power" and it's from her Life Boat series, which she created while she was being treated for cancer. I was really excited when my book's designer, Ken Crocker, suggested using this on the cover. I think it's perfect for my subject, as well as beautiful. You can see more of Carol's work, including the rest of this series, at www.carolchasebjerke.com.

Tomorrow I will be 64--"the Beatles age," someone said to me recently. Whatever age it is, it's a birthday I wasn't sure I'd ever have, so it's pretty nifty. And the celebrations have already begun. Last Thursday, my writing group (which is very good about celebrating everyone's birthday, which ensures an ample supply of cake throughout the year) met at my house. There was a cake (of course!) which even had "Happy Birthday" written on top, and wonderful presents. An excellent season opener. Since then, I've gotten a happy birthday message from a Facebook friend, and an e-card from a relative. And there are plans for a birthday dinner with friends on Wednesday before our first Madison Repertory play of the year.

As for tomorrow, the actual day--well, once again, I have to share it with Rosh Hashonah, the Jewish New Year. This happens fairly often, though erratically, given the lunar Jewish calendar, And it is, I suppose, appropriate (beginnning a new year and all that), but it does mean going to services on my birthday, about which I have mixed feelings. Nate pointed out that I don't have to go to services, but I want to go--it's just not my idea of how to best celebrate a birthday. However, after services I will go to my friend Jackie's for her annual Rosh Hashonah dinner, always delicious. And since it's my birthday, she suggested that I bring cheesecake for dessert. It's in the oven now, smelling up the house with delicious sweet odors.

The other major event tomorrow is Nate and Meghan's departure for their year in Colombia. I won't see them off since they're leaving from Newark, but Nate already has plans to come back for Thanksgiving at my sister Susie's, and I will see him then. And then later, maybe, in Cartagena--at least that's my hope for when it gets really cold in Madison.

On Thursday, I see the oncologist, and since I am pretty much done with the pneumonia, I think I will probably get the go ahead to start the clinical trial I mentioned in the last post. More about that next week. Meanwhile, happy new year, to those of you celebrating it, and happy 64th birthday to me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Judy,

I was planning to wish you "Happy Beatles birthday!" regardless of what you posted. You're two days short of 59 years older than my little grandson, Alex.

Celebrate well, and send some of that cheesecake aroma southeast toward your childhood home.

Wishing you and yours a sweet 5769!

Fred, who remembers long-time friends' birthdays and wonders if they remember his

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday & l’Shana Tova - may your year be full of beauty & blessings!

Warmly,
Baraka

Deborah said...

Happy Birthday! The book cover is marvelous, but you are more so!

Here's to continuing to enlarge the worldview of experts through 5769 and 5770 and ....

love,
D