Monday, September 1, 2008

Cancer Lessons

The past few days have confirmed, or re-taught, some of the lessons I've been learning for the past 3 1/2 years: have fun, know your limits, accept help, don't sweat the small stuff (and a lot of the "stuff" is smaller than you think).

Starting with the last of those lessons: On Wednesday last week, I drove down to Chicago to meet up with my college friend Claire, who was stopping over en route to an amazing family reunion on the east coast. After a good dinner at an Armenian restaurant, we walked to Navy Pier for a terrific fireworks show. When we got into the cab to head back to the hotel, I realized that my purse was strangely light. (I'd just started carrying a purse instead of the travel wallet I've held in my hands for years, if not decades.) I unzipped the purse--and discovered that the travel wallet was gone, along with a couple of hundred dollars (including the wonderful billfold designed and folded by my son Jed from twenty one-dollar bills), four credit cards, my drivers license, university ID, library cards, AARP and AAA cards... You get the idea.

We asked the cab driver to take us back to the restaurant (the last place I'd had the wallet out), but when Claire went in to inquire, she got nothing but blank stares from four waiters. She was, I think, more upset than I was. In fact, I was strangely un-upset. Believe me, worse things have happened. And I was kind of amazed (and embarrassed) that Sleazebag Nimblefingers had managed to unzip the purse, lift the wallet, and re-zip the purse without my noticing.

Fortunately, Jed and Nazgol were still in Madison, and Jed was able to find, in the mess in my study, most of the info I needed to report the theft to the credit card companies. I called Chase first, and was astounded and touched that one of the first questions the customer service person asked me was, "Are you safe?" Bank of America asked me (as part of their security check) what my work phone number was--and even though I retired nine years ago, the phone number came right to mind! And the cs person at the third company was able to cancel both that company's card and the one I hadn't yet called. All this took place less than two hours after the pickpocketing, but Sleazebag Nimblefingers had already charged drinks (I assume) at several bars and something (beer?) at gas stations and a Jewel market. I'm sure a good time was had by all that evening! And yes, I was out a chunk of change, but he or she no doubt needed it more than I do. Claire owed me her share of hotel room; she gave me cash, which was more than enough to buy gas and lunch enroute back to Madison.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

As for the help and limits-- Saturday I was joined by four wonderful biking friends (Diane, Angie and Jim, and Gail) on the TeamSurvivor Chocolate Chase fund-raising ride. Angie and Gail decided to do the 20 mile option. Jim and Diane asked what my goal was and when I said 10 miles, they started off with me. Jim lost us after a pit stop in a cornfield, and after only 3 1/2 miles, I told Diane that I had changed my mind and wanted to stop after the 4 mile route. The ride was a bit hilly, and I could tell that I just didn't have the stamina to ride another 6 miles and be able to do anything more than nap for the rest of the day. And I did have other plans for the afternoon and evening! So I sucked up my pride and called it quits. I think the limits on energy/endurance are related to lingering effects of the pneumonia, and I have no interest in courting a recurrence of that. So I'm actually proud that I knew and respected my limits. And that I had no qualms at all about accepting Angie and Jim's help in wrestling the bike back into the Subaru.

And--best of all, and a little reward (I think) for my good sense: at the raffle after the ride, I won a $20 gift certificate to David Bacco Chocolates, an expensive and exquisite place I have heretofore only patronized for gifts for others!

As for having fun: what could be more fun than the past week, which (in addition to the above) included two days with Jed and Nazgol including a visit to the House on the Rock tourist-attraction-supreme; an overnight stay in Wilmette, Illinois, with my high school friend Barbara; two concerts at the Token Creek chamber music festival; a walk at dusk with my friend Sandy in search of great horned owls...

This week it's back to what passes for normal life around here, with a CT scan and visit to the oncologist on Thursday, and who knows--probably, I'd guess--resumption of chemo. But there are still a few days before all that. And I'll post a health status report next Monday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Judy,

Speaking of "Cancer Lessons," others reading this blog might be interested in a book I am currently reading for review. (To be published in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, probably on 9/14 or 9/21, and eventually on my Science Shelf book review archive.

I'm only partway into Anti-Cancer: A New Way of Life by David Servan-Schreiber, M.D., Ph.D., but I can already tell that it is well-written and very insightful.

From what I can gather about your lifestyle and attitude, Judy, you are doing everything you need to be in the "long tail" in the statistical distribution of survival times. That means, as I'm sure you realize, that you can outlive your prognosis by a large factor. Statistics are just data, not predictions of any individual's expectation.

For example, Servan-Schreiber notes that Stephen Jay Gould had a cancer at age forty with an 8-month median survivorship. He died of something else 20 years later.

I highly recommend the book as "cancer lessons" for anyone who resolves live well in spite of, or perhaps because of, a dire diagnosis.

Here's a synopsis: Medical researcher David Servan-Schreiber, M.D., Ph.D., finds brain cancer in a research scan of his own brain. Fifteen years later, he writes about how a change in life style can prevent some cancers and can complement conventional treatment in others.

In another of my soon-to-be published reviews--Trick or Treatment (assigned by and submitted to the Seattle Times and also to appear online at my Science Shelf book review archive)--noted British science writer Simon Singh and Professor of complementary medicine Edzard Ernst, M.D., give two thumbs down to most alternative medicine (acupuncture, chiropractic, and herbal medicine). But I believe Servan's Schreiber's evidence-based complementary treatments would meet their approval.

To buy Anti-Cancer through Amazon.com and support my website, click here.

Best,
Fred