Monday, August 4, 2008

Modernity: Blessings and Curses

Well, first the blessings. The "minor virus" I reported on last Monday turned out to be pneumonia. I know, that doesn't sound like a blessing. And when the x-ray revealed that the afternoon fevers (102+ when I finally got to a thermometer on return from Michigan last Sunday) were caused by pneumonia in "three places" (lobes?), the doctor wanted to lock me up in the hospital. That struck me as a Bad Idea and I refused. So she put me on a strong antibiotic (levaquin) and a short tether, telling me that if my breathing got any worse, I should go to the ER immediately and get myself admitted.

But in fact my breathing was no worse than it has been all summer (ever since the June blooming of the Japanese lilac trees, to which I am allergic), and it is distinctly better than it was a year or even six months ago, though it is by no means what I or anyone else would consider "normal." This particular doc, who was subbing for my primary care guy, had never met me before, so she was shocked by my impaired breathing, and I think didn't believe me when I said it was no worse than usual. And apparently the first couple of days of pneumonia are the most dangerous. But I started running a fever on Friday, and I didn't see her until Monday--I was already past the first couple of days. And in fact on Saturday morning I'd felt good enough to bike 11 miles into a head wind.

Anyway, I started popping pills Monday afternoon, and they worked just fine. By Tuesday, I didn't need to take Tylenol in the afternoon; by Thursday, I didn't have a fever at all. I saw the doctor again Thursday morning, and she was much reassured--even embarrassed because she couldn't hear anything problematic when she listened to my lungs. She said that it takes 6-8 weeks for pneumonia to completely resolve in someone who has no underlying lung disease, which of couse I do have. So we'll see what happens. They can check on the pneumonia when I have my next CT scan, soon afer Labor Day.

I was supposed to take the levaquin for ten days, but yesterday morning I woke up with hives on my legs which I suspected was an allergic reaction. Went off to Urgent Care, where my suspicion was confirmed by another doctor who said to stop the antibiotic. He also said that the drug does most of its work in the first two days. I'd taken the drug for six days and he wasn't inclined to prescribe a substitute unless I relapse. I'm now allergic to four different classes of antibiotics, so that was fine with me. He did write a prescription for something I can take with me up to the Boundary Waters in a couple of weeks, in case I get sick up there where there are more loons than medical personnel.

So there you have a blessing of modernity: you contract a dread (and formerly fatal) disease, pop some pills, and are miraculously cured. Would that it worked that way for all dread diseases. Stomach cancer's a little more recalcitrant.

And then there's the saga of my new laptop, sterling example of modernity's curse. Well the laptop, which I picked up on Monday (between getting the x-ray and learning the diagnosis), is lovely. But I can't get Thunderbird, my email program, to work, and even if I could, all the addresses are stored somewhere on the old computer, not this one. What's more, I can't get the laptop to communicate with my old, reliable laser printer. Maybe this is a cable problem; maybe not. But I had to order the new cable on line, and the only way to determine if it's defective, I think, is to order another one on line and wait for it to arrive. Of course as some snippy young man at the UW IT help desk suggested, I could just buy a new printer. "They only cost $20 or $30," he said, rather impatiently. But why would I junk a perfectly serviceable, indeed wonderful, old friend? I'm afraid this was a case of generational disconnect. I guess that like my printer, I'm operating on a parallel connector, and this unhelpful and wasteful "support person" is, like my laptop, only conversant with spiffy new USB connectors.

And of course, while I was trying to get the printer to work, the word processing program, which had been running just fine, crashed, permanently, I think.

But hey, all this is just the usual curse of technology, and we know that a little time and money solves that sort of problem. So I'm not as aggravated as I might be. I'm feeling fine, and that's what really matters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Chris Brown and i would like to show you my personal experience with Levaquin.

I am 50 years old. Have been on Levaquin for 21 days now. Started feeling achilles tendon pain 5 days after starting levaquin. Physician and pharmacy NEVER provided information about this side effect, as the prescribing information states they should. I never made the connection that an antibiotic could cause this side effect so I finished the regimen. Six months later, including three months of physical therapy, walking better, though still feel occassional pain. Fault is with physician and pharmacist. Levaquin is an important drug for fighting infections, but should be prescribed second line. There are other proven options to try first. Indiscriminate use by physicians is causing needless side effects and dramtically increasing resistance problems.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Achilles tendon damage, wrist pain

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Chris Brown