Monday, July 28, 2008

The Can Do/Can't Do Ratio

Hello from Manistique, Michigan! Today (I'm writing this on Saturday July 26) was the last day of the MUP Shoreline bike ride, and the riders had a terrific tail wind most of the day, which was gloriously sunny. The ride ended where it started, in St. Ignace. We spent some time at the annual whitefish festival, which happened to be today, and then started to drive south, taking a brief detour to drive across the Mackinac Bridge, which connects Upper and Lower Michigan, and then back again.

I'm taking advantage of the Internet access and computer at the Comfort Inn where we're staying because I will be computerless when I get home Monday. I should be able to pick up my new computer Monday, but who knows how long it will take for me to set up the Internet connection. Better to write the blog today and set it to publish on Monday, I think.

Which I suppose is another instance of the can do/can't do ratio I've been thinking about today. This has not been the most wonderful vacation I ever took (in any event it would have a hard time competing with Mozambique and South Africa, the Galapagos, Hawaii, Japan, Egypt....). But I think the problem was the almost constant reminder of what I can no longer do, compared with what I can. I generally try to focus on what I can do, not what I can't, but that proved to be pretty hard, when everyone else was riding and talking about rides past, present, and future. Although my friends were very willing to ride slowly with me, the weather conditions, the nature of the beginning and ending of each day's route, and a mild virus that laid me low on Wednesday evening, combined to ensure that, other than the spectacular circumnavigation of Mackinac Island last Sunday, I only rode yesterday morning.

That was just 11 miles, into a headwind, and I was actually very lucky to do it between rain showers. Later in the day, the bikers were drenched by rain so heavy that the car windshield wipers couldn't keep up with it. I was thrilled not to be on a bike right then (and also on an earlier day, when my friends arrived at our B&B bedraggled and soaked, having just biked through an hour or two of storms).

Well, live and learn. It was good to be with my friends, and to revisit some sights (like Tahquamenon Falls) that I haven't seen in more than 20 years. But I don't think I'd do this kind of trip again. Makes me too sad because of the can do/can't do ratio.

On the other hand, I did finish proofing the galleys for Facing Fear, sitting in a variety of coffee shops, parks, and restaurants. So at least I accomplished something!

Finally, a reminder to all of you who send me personal comments through the blog and clearly want me to respond. I will not publish personal comments for everyone to read; I will not respond to personal comments on the blog; and I will only respond to you directly if you send me email. My email address is jlstrass@wisc.edu.

See you in August, from my new laptop!

No comments: