Monday, November 10, 2008

Chicago? - and more

For you Madison blog-followers: I will be at A Room of One's Own, 307 W. Johnson Street, at 2 PM Sunday, November 23, reading from and talking about Facing Fear. I plan to reflect on lessons from the recent election and to offer tips on how to cope with anxiety in the face of the current financial crisis. I'll also talk about life as a cancer survivor.

And on that subject, here's the latest from the world of what's next. I saw Dr. Holen last Thursday and learned that 1) the CT scan last Wednesday showed the tumors still growing very slowly (1-3 mm in two months); 2) genetic study shows that I have not one, but two mutations on the genes that express the crucial enzyme that allows people to metabolize irinotecan, the only (I think) drug I haven't had that is FDA approved for stomach cancer. The mutations mean that I don't produce enough enzyme and a full dose of the drug would generate life-threatening diarrhea.

Which leaves us with another possible option. The University of Chicago has a Phase 1 clinic and a lot of trials, overseen by a doctor Holen knows. So the next step is to go to Chicago to be seen by this guy, who will have in his hot little hands a full listing of every treatment I've had for both Hodgkin's and the current cancer, and who can determine whether I'm eligible for any of their studies. CancerConnect, the office here that researches available studies for various cancers, will set up the appointment and call me. I haven't heard anything yet, but I imagine that I will this week. (Because if I don't hear anything in the next day or two, I'll call them.)

Meanwhile, my energy comes and goes. I think it depends on whether the sun is out (right now, it is, which is great), how much rest I've gotten, the phase of the moon, and how successful I am in putting into practice what I know about allaying anxiety. Not as easy as you might think.

Speaking of energy--Saturday night my friend Janet and I went to see the tap dancer Savion Glover. He is unbelievably great. Go see him, if you ever get a chance. In addition to being a fabulous dancer and stage presence, he is one of the most aerobically fit human beings I've ever seen. Some time during the first part of the show I realized I was holding my breath, watching him. But of course, he had to breathe--and it turned out that he could not only breathe while dancing, but also sing.

Friday night we'd seen Sarah Chang, the violinist, play Brahms with the Madison Symphony Orchestra. Another virtuoso performance (Chang, not the MSO). It's truly amazing what humans can do. Individually, and also--as we learned last Tuesday--in community.

No comments: