Monday, April 28, 2008

Planning

Hola! glad to be back after last week, which was highly productive but pretty tough, mentally. More about that later. But first, an invitation:

I'm organizing a "field trip" from Madison to south Chicago on May 11 to attend services at Trinity UCC, where Rev. James Wright is now senior pastor. (See the March 31 post for a description of my trip to Trinity with my son.) Madison Jews and others upset by the anti-democratic "guilt by association" rhetoric that links Barack Obama through Rev. Wright to Louis Farrakhan, and who want to support the beleaguered congregation at Trinity, will be warmly welcomed at the 11 AM service.

We will head down to Chicago on Sunday morning and will return immediately after the service (which is about two hours long), stopping on the way back for lunch. We will travel by chartered bus; the cost, if the bus is full, will be $30 round-trip.

If you'd like to join us, or would like more information, please email me at jlstrass@wisc.edu. (Email will work much better than a comment to the blog, which won't give me your name or email address!) To reserve your space on the bus, send a check for $30, made out to Judith Strasser, at 511 Sheldon Street, Madison 53711. We can take 29 people. At this point, enough people have expressed interest to fill about half the bus-- but only a few have sealed their commitment with a $30 check! Still I expect the bus to fill, on a first-come, first-served basis. So if you want to join us (and I hope you will), send in your reservation money ASAP!

Now, about the past week. I was, as I mentioned last time, at Edenfred, an artists' retreat in Madison. Although I went home at night, I worked very intensely from about 9:30 to 5 every day, Monday through Friday, revising my manuscript, Facing Fear. The retreat was a wonderful gift; I was able to make it almost the entire way through the manuscript, and I now feel confident that I will have the revisions finished before May 25, when I go up to Door County (northern Wisconsin) to teach poetry for a week at The Clearing.

But the week was exhausting, and emotionally difficult. For one thing, it was a very monastic existence, and I'm no monk. For another, the subject matter of the book is occasionally difficult. For a third, when I took short breaks to read a novel, the book I chose (because it was related to the subject of the last chapter of the monograph) was Lovely Green Eyes, by Arnost Lustig. Lustig is a terrific writer. He's a Holocaust survivor, and his many books of fiction, including Lovely Green Eyes, are accounts of life at Theresienstadt, the concentration camp where he was imprisoned. Not exactly escapist literature.

Also last week, I learned that a friend and fellow poet had been suddenly taken ill and was scheduled for very serious surgery in May. She sent me an email telling me about this, and explaining that she and her husband would likely not be able to go to Chicago with us, which they had been planning. But now, of course, it's difficult, or impossible, for her to make plans. When I wrote back, explaining that I understood completely about the way illness interferes with planning for the future--it's one of the really big losses I've experienced--I suddenly realized that this was precisely what I'd been struggling with all last week, without being really aware of it. I have no idea whether I'll be around to see Facing Fear when it is finally published. Which, in a way, calls into question all the work I was doing--because if I'm not around to market the book, it's unlikely to get into many readers' hands. (Hardly any books, these days, get sold without considerable marketing effort by the author.) Of course, that's why I didn't allow myself to think about this problem while I was at Edenfred--it could easily have paralyzed me, and then I wouldn't have accomplished anything. But sometimes it takes a lot of effort not to think.

Another friend pointed out that nobody can really plan how the future will take shape; people just think they can. Which is, of course, true. But I'd argue that those of us who live with existential uncertainty because of illness are a different breed. It's difficult to sit quietly and listen while friends plan their biking trips for next week, or their vacations next fall, or reserve hotel rooms for conferences next February, when these are events that I would, under different circumstances, also be involved in.

Last summer, when I had to cancel my plan to go to a chamber music retreat, I fell into a pit of despair, thinking I'd never be able to plan anything again. Soon enough, I climbed out of the pit by reasoning that I could plan to do things so long as, if I had to cancel, I wouldn't inconvenience other people. So, for example, last fall I recruited my friend and co-editor Robin to accompany me (and if necessary, substitute for me completely) on a speaking engagement in late April. Honestly, I didn't think I'd be around to give that talk. But last Tuesday evening, Robin and I drove happily off to Brookfield (near Milwaukee) and spoke to a group at the Unitarian church. Sold books, too!

Similarly, I now expect to be able to teach (with Robin) the last week in May in Door County; something I really questioned last fall, when we signed up. So planning is possible, but difficult.

As is quite obvious when I look out the window. Here it is, April 28, and it's snowing. Great big flakes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Judy,

Speaking of planning in the face of events that you can't anticipate, I am wondering if the reaction to Rev. Jeremiah Wright's recent high-profile events might lead to a change in your plans.

Arguably, Rev. Wright can be perceived of basking in the spotlight, acting as if the recent news flaps are about him (rather than about Barack Obama's candidacy) while claiming that they are about black churches in general.

Even worse, he has been implying that Barack Obama is no different from any other politician by saying what he has to say.

Wright is coming across as a narcissist, and that taints his message. Meanwhile, the high visibility of his rhetoric and his increasingly dubious public character are hurting the Obama campaign. If Wright's new public prominence had happened before the primary here in PA, Obama would have lost by a much wider margin than 9.3%.

I fear that Obama's support in Indiana will suffer and he will lose rather decisively there because of this. And his margin in North Carolina will but seriously reduced.

If you want to support the Obama campaign, then I would argue that drawing attention to Rev. Wright's church is counterproductive.

It is much better to remind people of Obama's brilliant speech about racial issues--to discuss how he took an ugly moment and turned it into an opportunity to change public discourse for the better.

On the other hand, Rev. Wright is reigniting the ugliness so he can promote himself and his upcoming book. He is a huge problem for the Obama campaign, and the only solution to that problem is for him to withdraw to the sidelines and let the bigots spew their venom into the void.

As long as he seems to be saying, "Hey, everybody, look at me," he is a serious liability for Senator Obama. Those of us who believe in Obama's message and the possibility of rising above the old politics need to be wary of this apparently self-serving man.

Please take the money you would have spent on the bus trip and contribute it to the Obama campaign instead.