Monday, March 17, 2008

Advocating for Single-Payer Insurance

Early last week, I happened to be driving into my garage, half-listening to WHA, our local public radio station, when Larry Meiller, host of one of the talk shows, announced his guest for the hour. It was Kyle Holen, my oncologist; they were going to talk about the relationship between drug companies and doctors. Of course, I was interested, and as soon as I got into the house, I turned the radio on.

Now, I don't discuss politics during my doctors' appointments. (How many people do?) So I was more than mildly surprised, when a caller asked Dr. Holen why drugs are so expensive, and he replied, "Because in this country, unlike Canada, there are no cost controls." He'd just explained that oxalyplatin, the drug I happen to be on, costs $14,000 a month. I already knew this (as I mentioned in an earlier blog post), but what I didn't know is that oxalyplatin is, at least for Dr. Holen, the drug of first choice for colon cancer patients. There are oodles more cases of colon cancer than stomach cancer in the United States, and $14,000/month treatments for all of those patients must be a hefty contribution to the overall cost of health care, or at least of cancer care.

Dr. Holen went on to explain that in countries with single-payer health care systems, the single payer--that is, the government--is able to use its buying power to negotiate drug prices with the drug companies. Here, however, there are so many clinics, pharmacies, and insurance companies that no one has the power to negotiate prices--and the difficulty of getting all these players to work together and coordinate some sort of price negotiation is pretty much insurmountable.

I would have been thrilled to hear any doctor say this on public radio, but I was particularly pleased that it was my doctor advocating a single-payer health care system. I already liked the guy--he has, after all, kept me alive for three years--but this was extraordinary. A doctor who not only has good (by my standards) politics, but is willing to go public with his opinions!

And then someone else called in to ask if it was true that doctors get all sorts of freebies from drug sales reps. Yes, Dr. Holen said, although he added that he was careful not to accept so much as a pencil from a drug company. He made it clear that even though many doctors insist that free trips and free lunches don't influence their prescription practices, this was unlikely. Why would drug companies spend many millions on this sales technique, if it was ineffective? Dr. Holen described a clinic (outside Madison) where he sees patients once a month or so. At this clinic, lunch is provided daily by drug companies! On the days he's there, however, the other staff has agreed to have a potluck. "I like to think that some day they'll decide to have potlucks even when I'm not there," he said.

As a follow-up, a listener called in to suggest that people might be interested in looking at a website: www.nofreelunch.org. I hadn't heard of the organization, which is focused on breaking physicians' "drug company dependence" by providing arguments and evidence for the link between freebies (including free drug samples) and prescription practices. But Dr. Holen had, and said he contributed to the organization; and then he suggested people might also like to look at the site for Physicians for a National Health Program (www.pnhp.org). PNHP advocates for a universal, single-payer health care system.

These are both great sites. And if you're in Wisconsin, you might want to check out the site of the Coalition for Wisconsin Health, www.WisconsinHealth.org, an organization for which I volunteer. CWH is an affiliate of PNHP; its long-term goal is a single-payer system, but the coalition of over 60 health and social justice organizations understands that this goal may have to be achieved through small, shorter-term, steps, and it has been a strong advocate for the Healthy Wisconsin plan presented by Democrats in the state legislature in the past year.

CWH is also beginning a new state-wide project, Share Your Story. We're hoping that people with horror stories about health insurance, and also with good stories about the benefits of government programs like Badger Care (in Wisconsin) and Medicaid, will let us know that they're willing to take their stories public through the media. We'll interview these people, get their stories, and create a data base that can be accessed by reporters state-wide who are looking for real people with a personal interest in the health care policy debate. If you happen to know of Wisconsin residents with stories to tell, let me know, and I'll pass the information along!

And I really encourage all you readers to comment on, or ask questions about, the economics and politics of single-payer health insurance.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How interesting! I did a search on Dr Holen as I had my first meeting with him this past week and I am unsure of things.

Nice to meet another Wisconsinite! *waving* and a fellow cancer survivor at that!

Unknown said...

Oh, PS, We do not qualify for any assistance. Yet, as we finished building a home (literally with our own hands) I was diagnosed with cancer. Then not long after going through chemo we could no longer afford to keep that home. It really bites that we still have to pay sooo much on top of insurance.

Unknown said...

Ugh, those last comments were from me. I had been logged in as my hubby helping him with a project this morning and forgot to log out - sorry! :(