Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Bicycle Dreams

Nothing profound today-- just some comments and anecdotes of the sort that I would share with you in a friendly conversation, if we could have a conversation.

First, those dreams. The bi-pap machine I use at night pushes air into my lungs when I inhale (at least I think that's what it's doing), and if the mask slips, I get a rush of air aimed at my face. Last week some time I woke up with the air rushing past, dreaming that I was headed downhill on my bike at 20 mph. Delightful! But last night's dream was even better (and had nothing to do with the bi-pap machine). It was a whole bike ride with friends on familiar roads around Madison. The best thing about it was that the route, which had several good down-hills, had no up-hills! So even though I had cancer, and difficulty breathing, I had no trouble at all with this ride. It was a real pleasure.

Now you bikers need to spend the winter finding that route for me! Not on your bikes (though I have seen a few crazy people heading past my house in the past few days, on the rutted ice, to the bike path. I'm sure they think they have full control of their bikes, but what about the drivers of the cars they meet?)

To give you non-Madisonians a sense of the road (and sidewalk) conditions here since our snow-and-ice storm on Saturday: yesterday I walked across the yard to the compost bin on top of 4-6 inches of snow, capped by a crust so thick it didn't even crack! When the junk was falling on Saturday afternoon and evening, I stayed in the house and wrapped Chanukah presents instead of venturing out to the orchestra concert I was supposed to play in on campus. Sunday morning, having been in deep denial about the approach of winter and the need to arrange shoveling help, I looked out the window to see two neighbors, Jack O'Maera and Michael, a very fit guy across the street whom I don't even know, attacking my sidewalk and front walk and driveway entrance with a vengeance. I burst into tears. Later, I saw Susie O'Maera, who's about 10, I think, working on the sidewalk. And someone--I don't know who--also did the route from the garage to the back door, which is the way I usually get into the house. Thank you all!

Speaking of thanks-- in the past couple of weeks, two people have just dropped by the house, without even calling, and I really enjoyed their visits. In both cases, they were coming by to drop something off, and I happened to be home. But it made me realize that this is a nice, spontaneous kind of get-together (and kind of un-American, not part of our ordinary culture, where we make elaborate plans, or at least call ahead). So if you get the urge, come by. If I'm busy, I'll let you know it's not a good time. And if I'm not home, which I'm often not, leave a note.

One last thing: those of you who will be in Madison on December 23, save the date! I'm having my annual solstice party that afternoon/evening, 4-9 PM. I'll provide latkes and drinks; you bring a solstice food (something that means the season to you) and be prepared to go shoeless. Two things will be different this year: most important, my good friends Janet Zimmerman and Diane Lauver are helping me get ready for the party. And also, it's not going to be possible for me to make myself heard over the din of the assembled multitudes, so bring a little anecdote to tell me, in lieu of a two-way conversation. Invitations will go out in the mail next week, but if you read this, consider yourself invited.

2 comments:

Haley Studio said...

Howdy, J!

Rabbi Laurie sent me the link to your blog -- it is great to read your writing!

What a great biking dream. I do know a route that is downhill for quite a while -- it starts on Odana Road near the golf course with some gentle ups and downs. Then pick up the bike trail that parallels Monroe St, heading east. You'll coast down a gentle slope for quite a long ways, all the way to Charter St. or so. I haven't taken that trail west of Odana; it's possible that the long slope continues farther that way as well. If you can read a topographic map, you can find out!

I also got to walk on top of the snow -- I love that! It reminds me of when I was a kid and light enough to stand on a thin crust.

I am not sure I can come to your party as my folks will be in town, but thanks for the invite!

Best wishes,
Enid W.

Claire said...

Dear Judy,
I've never posted a comment to a blog before ... getting through Google and Gmail to set up an account required some patience on my part ...
I just wanted to say that I wish I lived closer so that I could be among those who drop in on you from time to time.
Claire